Monday, October 25, 2010

Begonias for Beginners

Last year I had a white and a yellow tuberous begonia tuberous begonia outside. The white flowers, but the yellow was not successful. This year I bought a new white top and yellow and have flourished, but the white do not make it. I accused the puppy next door. The tuberous begonia white in his line of travel, and has repeatedly trampled on it. But I guess I was wrong - more than a minute. I have a pink begonia that can not be taken outside because he was a kind of vacuumlast spring. Okay, let's talk begonias ...

Let me tell you about begonias. They are beautiful, but they are not all alike. The rose is a fibrous begonia begonias and is usually considered a perennial rather than years. (They also come in red, pink and white - my successfully pink). They love the sun and I held it near a window facing south. It blooms continuously. The Latin name is Begonia semperflorens which translates more or less like a flower begonias. The problemhad this spring was that I had more watered. It should be in a land that drains well and should be allowed to dry out between watering.

The fibrous begonia is started from seeds or cuttings. The tuberous begonias on the other side starts with a root (no surprise there, considering the title). They come in a variety of colors like red, orange, yellow, white and pink salmon. They are very different from growing tuberous begonias.

I learned about this differencethe hard way. The tuberous begonias like to rest between seasons, unlike the fibrous begonias. I took the white in the past year, and then blame the dog because it failed, when I put in the garden this year. Turned out to be dug up, cut, dried root and leave the rest for the winter in a cool, all in vermiculite. A friend says it's lucky wrap the tubers in the newspaper.

Next spring, I plant the tubers and store them in shallow flatstheir roots in the shade to settle in and shoots a few inches high. Then I put them in 6 inch pots and move them outside to acclimate.

I'm going to the garden to see if I can dig the tubers of white begonias. It's worth a try. And you know me: I love my hands dirty ...

Recommend : Kitchen Unit Doors

No comments:

Post a Comment